Need a hand with packing?
Good at packing? It could come in handy and save you hundreds. Read about our handy moving and packing tips from the experts.
Need the extra help of a packing service. Speak to the Capalaba Complete Self Storage team on 3823 1000 for a couple of referrals.
Top 25 Storage Tips
At Complete Self Storage we aim to make your storage experience as safe, secure and hassle free as possible.
Listed below are the Top 25 Most Common Storage Tips used by unit holders.
When it comes time to move into your Capalaba Complete Self Storage unit, it's important to know the best way to pack your belongings to ensure everything is stored safely and securely.
The better prepared you are for your move into your unit, the better chance you have of preventing items from being broken or damaged.
Should you require extra packaging, don't worry as we have a large range of high quality and hard wearing packaging products to help you out.
Talk to one of our friendly experienced team today and put together a storage action plan.
1. Fill containers to capacity or fill spaces with packaging material.
2. Pack heavy items into small boxes, this will make them easier to move.
3. Label every box so that you can find what you need later. Leave space to reach the back of the unit and put frequently used items near the front.
4. Don't use newsprint to pack anything that can be stained by the ink.
5. Metal objects like tools and bikes should be wiped with a rag containing machine oil to prevent rust.
6. Appliances should be clean and dry.
7. Defrost refrigerators and freezers before storing and leave doors ajar inside storage unit.
8. Some goods can be stored in wardrobes and drawers.
9. Pack books flat and put boxes with books or papers on skids or pallets to prevent moisture absorption.
10. Clothing, curtains and drapes should be cleaned and stored on hangers.
11. For storing or hanging your clothes, special Robe Boxes are available from the office.
12. Dishes and glassware boxes should have a layer of padding top and bottom and each item should be wrapped.
13. Nest bowls and cups and stand plates on end and fill all pockets with padding.
14. Stand sofas and mattresses on end, on a plastic sheet, blanket, or scrap cardboard
15. Disassemble beds and tables and put them upside down on the floor.
16. Stack Boxes on dressers and use drawers to store delicate items.
17. Store light chairs inverted seat to seat.
18. For the best protection of your goods, use purpose made storage boxes, these are available from the office.
19. Use plastic protectors for your mattress, lounge and chairs, and to save space use our Storage Space Saver bags
20. Wrap large lamp bases in padding and pad smaller lamps and pack inside box with extra side padding.
21. Pack lamp shades separately.
22. Pack mirrors, windows, and record albums (yes remember those?) on edge and add lots of side padding inside box and between mirrors to secure.
23. When locking your unit, ensure you place your key in a safe place.
24. If you need access to all the items, you can leave a centre isle in your unit.
25. Any items like clothing and fabric, should have a couple of moth balls packed in with the items.